Sunday, October 26, 2008

Call me Jackie

This weekend we spent quite a bit of time with friends. On Saturday we went to the "out-laws" for a family pumpkin carving contest. We're lucky to be honorary members of the family and sometimes get to join in on the family fun. We competed in the contest two years ago and knew that the competition would be tough. I scrambled at the last minute to find some sort of inspiration on the internet and Paul just thought he'd wing it. After a great meal of chili, corn bread and tortillas we went to the garage to start carving. I decided to try something new and with some good insight from those around me I carved this pumpkin. Once everyone was done we voted and.... I was the winner. I got a lovely travelling "trophy" or goblin troll and the title of Jackie.
We finished out the night with more drinks, the card game golf, spoons (which was really forks since we didn't have spoons) and a visit from the sheriff's office. Apparentely the 9 of us that were still playing card games were too loud for the neighborhood at 2:00 am.
Here are a few more of the carvings. I have yet to really figure out how to take a non-blurring picture of pumpkins without a tripod.













6 comments:

Amanda said...

What is the pumpkin next to the spider? It is the photo second from the bottom.

KJ said...

Nice, that's a creative way to use the stem.
You could always just try setting the camera on a table or something instead of a tripod.

Curtis Jones said...

I am proud of you! How far away do the neighblors live?

Kortney said...

The pumpkin next to the spider is a fish skeleton. The neighbors live pretty far away. They have about an acre of land.

Curtis Jones said...

Jackie, did anyone go to jail? Who talked to the authorities?

Kortney said...

They talked to all of us, knocked on the garage. No they just told us to make sure to keep the garage door down. I think they were a little disappointed it was a bunch of adults.