Friday, February 11, 2011

Homecoming Number One- Emily

Ever since the beginning I always thought that Emily would be the first to come home.  Paul would talk about well when Sam comes home... but I always thought the small but mighty little girl would make it home before her brother.  She has been just a few steps behind him all along, mostly because she is smaller.  On Tuesday she took out her feeding tube.  This is not the first time, both kids routinely grab on to their tubes, but it was like she was telling us she was ready to go.  So I was really happy and a little surprised when Tuesday night I got to the NICU and it was still out and then Wednesday it didn't need to be put back in.  I knew that was a huge sign that she was almost ready to go home.  When I asked the doctor on Wednesday, "So what happens if she eats on her on for the rest of the day?" and he said well she could go home Thursday or Friday I was shocked that it was happening so soon.  I know the nurses were a little surprised too.  (More on this later... and some pictures.  For some reason I can't get blogger to add any.)
Poor Sam is still struggling with his breathing or should I say his holding of breath.  This isn't a new thing for Sam, but it has gotten worse while he is eating.  Last weekend it seemed as if he had gotten over this and had connected the right neurons in his brain to eat, breathe and swallow but he has taken a step back.  Sam is a phenomenal eater, that is why he now weighs 7 lbs. 1 oz., but he eats too fast.  He has a stuffy nose also so that isn't helping the poor guy.  So hopefully he'll get over his stuffiness and everything will click for him.  It is oh so hard to leave him alone at the hospital. 
Leaving the hospital


Finally home
All dressed and ready to go

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I had a feeling Emily might be first too, she did go through the most "trauma."
Maybe Sam will be Dad's birthday present?

Laura Kachel said...

Congrats on the first homecoming! Way to go little girl, I'm sure Sam is anxious to come home too. Happy Valentines Day to the Arrington family!!!

- Laura