Thursday, July 5, 2012

4th of July

Today was one of my most favorite 4ths of July since I've been an adult.  (I wistfully remember my childhood 4ths and I don't think they will ever be topped... but we will see.)

We started out the morning with the kids sleeping in until 8 am!  This normally would be awesome but it made us a little bit rushed to get to the parade.  Loveland doesn't have a parade but a "cousin's" wife was riding in the Fredrick, or is it Firestone, parade so we headed on down.  The kids were decked out in their patriotic gear and we had good seats in the shade.  Perfect.
Then... the parade started and it got even better!  They LOVED the parade.  I think Sam waved and said hi to every passing float.  He often replied, "Ut oh" when the candy was thrown at his feet.  He held tightly to two pieces of candy and a "little cup" the whole parade.  Emily stood with dad and waved her flag the whole time.  It was a great time.  Next time we need a sign that says... we really don't need the candy. 

After the parade we went and saw the horses.  Emily has been into horses for the last month or so.  I think it is because of the rocking horse Papa and Nana have at their house.  She was pretty excited to be able to be so close and to touch them.  Sam was just fine with looking but he didn't need or want to touch it.  It started to get really hot and the stroller wheels were covered in prickles... yuck, so we headed towards the food. 

Papa and Nana found some food but I was still undecided about eating so we set out to wander.  Not 15 feet into our wandering I ran into an old college friend.  We even lived together for at least one year.  I knew she lived in the area but it didn't register that we might see her.  She has a 4 1/2 year old and a little guy that looks close to Sam and Emily's age.  She is a teacher too.  Unfortunately, I forgot to get her up to date phone number or e-mail... darn it. 

Anyway Papa and Nana found some space in the shade and Sam and Emily had a little snack and I decided to get something to eat.  The lines were long where I would have liked to eat and I wasn't sure they'd take plastic so I settled on a veggie burger.  (It wasn't great.)  The kids ate and then we headed back to the car. 

There was a kids area where they had a huge bubble blower set up.  It was solar powered with is neat.  The kids, and Paul, spent some time trying to catch bubbles.  Emily caught one and then stuck her fingers in her mouth.  Now she knows bubbles taste gross. 

We finally reached the car and before we even were out of town the kids were asleep.  Once we got home I went to sleep too.

Once we all woke up it was time to head to the Smith's house for the evening.  The Smith's have the BEST backyard for entertaining little people.  They have a swing set, a sand box, a little playhouse, a pond and a bird bath.  I'm pretty sure Sam touched all of them.  The kids played and played and got filthy.  We enjoyed the adult company.  It is amazing the change in our group of friends over the last couple of years.  It wasn't too long ago that our get togethers were adult only and now there are kids every where.
More watermelon.

Yes, caught, in the birdbath

No comments: