Yesterday was a not so great day at work. My kids had been cooped up inside for two days and were going stir crazy. I spent the morning teaching the kids how to add fractions with unlike denominators, making inferences about earthquakes and typing fiction stories. My class seemed like it looked like this:
We had an assembly in the afternoon that required that the kids have partners so I thought they'd be motivated to work to choose there own partners. So as I was waiting for the teacher on recess duty to show up so I could eat lunch we talked about what they should be doing during indoor recess. (Find a game, find a spot to sit, use an inside voice, don't jump over chairs, desks, ect, and don't throw any pieces of eraser across the room.) Easy enough I thought. Well since the recess duty teacher didn't show up (there were a total of 5 non-sub classroom teachers in the building), they quickly lost their chance to pick partners for the afternoon.I went to lunch to find kids writing on the board, which isn't ever allowed and not following what they should be doing. Argh! Well I went to write on the board and noticed that the lovely boys had written, "J is gay" on the board. Nice... Well after a discussion about how disappointed I was and that it is NEVER appropriate to write or tell someone that they're gay, one of my pet peeves, I finally sent them to specials. On a quick assessment of the room I found 10 pieces of eraser on the ground that weren't there when I left. I went to vent to my male teaching partner..again, and was told to let it go.
So I tried... and was feeling much better when they came back and went to the assembly, which went well. And I found a lovely picture on the floor that had fallen out of the pocket of a hormonal 5th grade boy. Every boys dream...

No comments:
Post a Comment