Wednesday, May 4, 2011

More Thoughts on Working

I've never wanted to be a working mom.  Growing up I always knew I wanted kids and that once I had them I wanted to stay home.  I think it has to do with my mom being a stay-at-home mom, that just what moms do.  It was even more clear that I wanted to stay home after I worked in a daycare center when I was in college.  I knew/know what kind of attention the kids in the center were getting and it would never want my kids in a daycare center.  Nothing really against day cares, I know that most of the staff means well but...

Well my dreams of becoming a stay-at-home mom ended when I met Paul and he decided to become a teacher.  His decision to teach was partly my fault, so he says.  I kind of led him in that direction.  (What was I thinking??)  I know it isn't impossible to raise a family on a teacher's salary but it sure isn't easy. 

So here we are now... I'm back and work and someone else gets to watch my kids every day.  I miss their smiley faces in the morning, their giggles, our extended snuggle time, feeding and all the other day to day events.  I want them to need me, to only want to be with mom.  Selfish I know.  I don't want to miss their first steps, or words.  I want to be the one who knows everything about them. 

I'm lucky that their grandparents are watching them for the rest of the year, mostly.  I know that they will get everything they need and more.  I'm also lucky that I don't have to worry about taking them somewhere, everyone watches them at our house. 

But I still don't want to go to work every day.  My fifth graders just aren't as cute and cuddly as my own kids are. 

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Hi Kortney - I enjoy your blog so much - re: working Moms - We have 3 kids - I did't work outside the home until the youngest one was in kindergarten - but did try my hand at babysitting in our home for 3 little boys about the same ages our kids were and it worked out ok until we had the chicken pox - that was REALLY FUN. Just be really happy for summer ok?

Shirley (one of your aunts)

The Maiden Metallurgist said...

I'm dreading going back to work. I'm looking forward to it too. But my heart will break.