Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Happy Day Party!

Last night was Sam and Emily's Second Birthday.  This one kind of snuck up on me.  It wasn't super planned and even the night before we thought we might have to change the day.  Around Christmastime I realized I hadn't done any plan for the party.  I decided to do a Hungry Caterpillar party.  Then after talking to a friend and we decided to do a combined party.  I figured Sam and Emily share anyway and we might as well combine.  Their friend, Ainslee, is only 5 days younger and her party was going to be the day after Sam and Emily's and would involve pretty much the same people.  We finally got the invites out two weeks before the party.  Phew.

Their first birthday was a large bash.  Almost all of our close friends were invited and it was pretty chaotic.  My mom helped make a number of different crafts.  This one was much different.  We invited three other families, including our co-hosts, and my parents.  I didn't plan on making anything on my own.  I ordered shirts.  It was much more laid back.  It turned out just about perfect.

I used The Very Hungry Caterpillar as my cookbook, as Paul said.  I bought all the fruit that he ate that I could find at the grocery store.  Then I used what the caterpillar ate on Saturday to eat also.  The only prep I had to do was cut up a whole bunch of fruit and the make a spinach salad.

My parents came a little early so they could manage kids so I could finish up the little stuff.  Heather ("triplet" mom) came a little before 6 and the other two families came a little later.  My dad quickly took  the "baby" and the rest of the guests got to catch up and the kids got to play.  Sam wasn't so sure he liked all the people in his house.  He hung out under the table for a couple of minutes until everything settled down.  Silly boy.

The kids started to ask about food so we fed them.  They loved the grape caterpillars.  Then we ate in shifts.  The kids played.

Finally we decided that it was time for the cake.  We set up the birthday kids and took a few pictures.  We tried to decide how we were going to manage three kids who needed their own special moment.  We decided that we'd sing to each birthday boy/girls individually.  Emily got to go first because she is the oldest.  I thought she'd love the attention but she was shy and kind of hid while we sang to her.  She needed a little help with the candle too.  Sam loved the singing.  He had practiced blowing out the candle when Emily had her song so he was ready.  They kept saying "Happy Day".

The cake eating wasn't as messy or as enthusiastic as I would have thought.  Emily pretty much ate all of her dessert but Sam didn't eat too much.

Finally it was time for presents.  Addie, Ainslee's five year old sister, really wanted to help and "helped" Sam and Emily open most of their presents.  They were pretty excited about some of the gifts they got.  The family room was a mess with three 2-year olds opening presents, but it was a great time.

Now for some pictures:







No comments: